Methodism in Holcombe Brook
In October 1874 four men of faith and vision met together and resolved "that there be a Sunday School at Holcombe Brook." The following month the Sunday School met for the first time in a small room in Pot Green and then in June 1875 Sunday evening services started there. By 1879 it was realised that a new chapel would have to be built and the present church building was opened for worship in December 1885.
During the next forty years church membership and attendance grew. Electricity replaced gas in 1926 and in 1929 the original windows were replaced by stained glass. As the space available in the church building became inadequate a building fund was set up and the extension to the premises was opened in January 1975. Further renovation took place in 1985 and then a complete refurbishment and modernisation of the church interior was completed by early 2002. Through all these developments the church has continued to "recognise our utter dependence upon the gifts and guidance of the Holy Spirit for the true success of all we undertake in Christ's name."
Methodism in Holcombe Brook 1874-1974.